I am a communications professional with more than five years of combined web writing, community management, social media management and digital marketing experience. Since graduating from the University of Kansas School of Journalism in 2008 I have worked for a number of companies in various roles, all centered around growing and communicating with an engaged community online.
My focus has been mainly representing e-commerce and technology brands in the small business sector via social media. I also have extensive experience reporting on and representing brands in the footwear industry. I enjoy freelance writing in addition to my full-time day job in communications at Guru.com. I am looking to network with professionals from all industries on a global scale, and I encourage you to contact me at any time, for freelance work or just to say ‘hi’!
Software and Applications:
University of Kansas 2004 – 2008
Bachelors, Journalism (Strategic Communications)
Minored in French
Communications Manager, Guru.com
April 2013 – Present
As the Communications Manager at Guru.com, Anna oversees all website content and marketing communications. During her first month at the company, she created a Brand Identity and communication plan to help reshape the company’s image. Her responsibilities include:
- Planning and executing communication campaigns to announce feature releases and site updates
- Managing all website content, email campaigns, and automated emails (existing and new)
- Updating the Guru blog and social media regularly
- Moderating the Guru Answers community
- Training Guru employees about the brand and communications schedule
Social Media Manager, Shoefitr
October 2012 – May 2013 (7 months)
- Setup profiles on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest
- Manage daily activities on social media platforms to grow engaged community
- Post weeky on blog.shoefitr.com to share latest updates, new partnerships and other news
- Reach out to blogs to increase awareness and build new relationships with online influencers
- Grew Shoefitr online community to current number: 510 on Twitter and 3,221 on Facebook.
Director of Digital Media, TestWeapon
August 2011 – Present (1 year 8 months)Pittsburgh, PA
During my time at TestWeapon I have grown from managing the social media of 2 brands to currently managing the social media and digital marketing efforts for all 5 of TestWeapon’s brands in addition to the corporate brand.
My responsibilities fall under three categories: Online Content Production & Social Media Management, Ambassador Recruiting & Management, and Marketing Strategy:
- Monitor and update all discussions occurring in forums and on social media
- Escalate issues/opportunities/feature requests gained from social media appropriately
- Report on conversions/sales gained via each marketing channel
- Source and schedule content for Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest posts
- Create and curate original content in all forms for digital dispersal
- Edit all company copy to ensure proper understanding and grammar/spelling.
- Secure and manage school ambassadors
- Integrate company brand strategy, ensure compliance across marketing channels
- Develop monthly competitive benchmarking comparisons
- Develop budget and quarterly advertising spend strategy
- Drive new subscribers and engagement across key channels using SEO, SEM, display ads, email, and partnership marketing
Editor and Blog Owner, ShoeSmitten.com
May 2008 – Present (4 years 11 months)http://www.shoesmitten.com
Over the past 5 years, Shoe Smitten has worked with numerous national and global shoe and fashion brands, including Naturalizer, Nine West, and Ideeli in various creative marketing collaborations. Shoe Smitten is also featured in several “Top Shoe Fashion Blogs” lists across the net. Shoe Smitten currently has 9,541 Twitter followers, 820 Facebook fans and 727 Pinterest followers.
- Develop branding strategies, design, and content management systems
- Built excellent relationships with global and national fashion & footwear brands
- Built a distribution list of over 400 double-opt in subscribers
- All site platforms, back end, and programming are self-implemented, designed, and maintained
- Develop a social media strategy to promote Shoe Smitten and manage all social media accounts
Social Media Coordinator, Shuella
June 2011 – October 2011 (5 months)
Created and managed Facebook and Twitter profiles for Shuella (a shoe accessory brand). Interfaced with customers and press partners. Other responsibilities: Daily maintenance/Facebook and Twitter posting, blogger relationship management, customer service.
BeKnown Community Manager, Monster.com
June 2011 – September 2011 (4 months)Remote
- Worked on a team of community managers to promote BeKnown using social media
- Increased awareness amongst bloggers, influencers and job seekers via blogger outreach.
- Collected feedback and instances of errors, shared with developers and community management team.
Social Media Community Manager, MechMedia Inc.
April 2008 – August 2011 (3 years 5 months)
Built a strong base of repeat users and establish ShoeHunting as the resource for celebrity shoe news. 5,248 Facebook fans, 3,926 Twitter followers, 6,000+ current community members.
- Managed social media of 4 brands: ShoeHunting, CostumeFest, CostumZee, and GreenPicks
- Monitored online mentions and ensured the success of marketing initiatives
- Moderated community activity, enforcing and updating community guidelines.
- Assessed social media marketing strategies to determine success or failure.
- Achieved strong branded social media presences
Social Media Marketing Manager, Virtual Inventories, Inc.
March 2008 – February 2009 (1 year)
I was promoted from blogger to marketing manager role. I grew the brands’ presences on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Yahoo Answers using social media best practices, resulting in a 60% increase in traffic to the sites.
- Managed all marketing, social media, online content, advertising and PR efforts for the company’s ecommerce sites: LingerieDiva.com, ToyGeekBlog.com, TheJungleStore.com, WeddiquetteBlog.com
- Posted daily to all social media channels for each brand.
- Responded to customer requests via social media.
Billing Intern, National Association of Insurance Commissioners
June 2007 – March 2008 (10 months)
- Researched credit card dispute cases and customer accounts using databases and spreadsheets.
- Used confidential customer information in order to answer customer inquiries and research cases for the billing specialist (Andrea Guerra).
- Completed secretarial tasks as needed by the billing specialist and supervisor, including filing, faxing and shredding.
- Kept detailed records, by month and by name, of all cases and updated records regularly.
- Sent weekly and monthly electronic and paper invoices to customers.
- Called customers as necessary to update case files and account information.